Call us on 0800 023 4171

Energy discounts and schemes

Warm Home Discount

The Warm Home Discount is a Government payment of £140 off your electricity bill through the Warm Home Discount Scheme.

The money isn’t paid to you – it’s a one-off discount on your electricity bill between October and April via your energy provider.

Liverpool Energy Community Company is unable to offer the Warm Home discount at this time.

For more information on this scheme and to see if you’re eligible visit the Gov UK website.

Cold Weather Payment

Cold Weather Payments are made when the temperature outside is either recorded as, or forecast to be, an average of zero degrees celsius or below over seven consecutive days. You’ll get a payment of £25 for each seven-day period of very cold weather between 1 November and 31 March.

To qualify, you must get the State Pension or another social security benefit (but not Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction, Child Benefit or Universal Credit). To find out more, or to check your eligibility, visit the government’s Cold Weather Payment information pages.

Winter Fuel Payment

You could get between £100 and £300 tax-free to help pay your heating bills if you were born on or before 5 July 1952. Winter Fuel Payments are made automatically between November and December if you get the State Pension or another social security benefit (but not Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction, Child Benefit or Universal Credit).

Fuel Direct

If you’re on certain benefits, you can arrange to pay your fuel arrears direct from your benefits if you’re having difficulties. This is called ‘third party deductions’.

To qualify you must be on one or more of the following benefits:

  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Pension Credit

Deductions are made each time your benefits are paid. £3.65 will be deducted from each benefit to pay off the debt you owe, plus an extra amount to cover your bills in the future.

Fuel direct is often cheaper and more convenient than a Pay-As-You-Go meter – and you won’t run out of gas or electricity.

The amount is decided by Jobcentre Plus or your pension centre, but if it’s going to be more than 25% of your benefits, you’ll be asked to agree to the deduction.

If it’s less than 25% of your benefits, the deduction can be made without you agreeing to it. You’ll be told what the deductions are going to be, and if they’re going to change.

Utilities and energy efficiency support

The following agencies provide independent help and advice on utilities and energy efficiency:

Advice UK An umbrella organisation which has lists of community organisations who can offer free and impartial advice

Energy Saving Trust Provides free advice and information to people across the UK looking to save energy, conserve water and reduce waste – including directing people to grants to make change happen, from cavity walls, to loft insulation and installing more renewable energy sources. Call 0800 512 012.

National Energy Action (NEA) NEA develops and promotes energy efficiency services to tackle the heating and insulation problems of low-income households. Working in partnership with central and local government; with fuel utilities, housing providers and health services; and with consumer organisations, NEA aims to eradicate fuel poverty and campaigns for greater investment in energy efficiency to help those who are poor or vulnerable.

OFGEM Ofgem is the Office of the Gas and Electricity Markets. Ofgem is the regulator for Britain’s gas and electricity industries. Its role is to promote choice and value for all customers.

OFWAT Ofwat is the economic regulator of the water and sewerage sectors in England and Wales. Its role is to promote choice, good quality service and value for all customers.

Warm Front Warm Front makes homes warmer, healthier and more energy-efficient. The Warm Front Scheme provides a package of insulation and heating improvements. It is a Government-funded initiative and the scheme is managed by Eaga. If you own your own home or rent it from a private landlord, you may be eligible for a grant under the Warm Front Scheme. Call: 0800 316 2805