Important safety checks

For your safety

Warning signs

Your gas appliance may not be working properly if you notice:

  • yellow or orange coloured flames (except in fuel-effect fires)
  • soot or yellow/brown staining on or around gas appliances
  • a pilot light that frequently blows out
  • increased condensation on the inside of windows
  • Use a gas appliance if you think that it’s not working properly
  • Cover an appliance or block the convection air vents
  • Block or obstruct any fixed ventilation grills, air bricks or outside flues

Source: The Health and Safety Executive

Gas safety checks

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) advises all gas consumers to have their gas appliances and fittings checked for safety annually by a Gas Safe registered installer.

LECCY gas safety checks

At Liverpool Energy Community Company we may be able to offer a gas safety check for you which will be carried out by a fully qualified engineer. This service will be free for customers who own and occupy their home, are in receipt of means tested benefits, have not had a gas safety check in the last 12 months and:

  • Live with at least one child aged under 5 years, or
  • Are over 60 years of age, disabled or chronically sick and live alone, or live with others, all of whom are over 60, under 18, disabled or have long term health issues

For more details, please contact us on .

If we find a dangerous appliance

If, during a gas safety check the engineer finds that an appliance is dangerous, it will be condemned and cannot be used until it is repaired or replaced and no longer poses any further danger.

If this happens and you need support or advice, you can call the Gas Safe Register enquiry number on (lines open Monday to Thursday 9am-5.30pm and Friday 9am-5pm) or visit their website at

Carbon monoxide

Help guard against carbon monoxide: “the silent killer”

You can’t see it, smell it or taste it, but carbon monoxide gas can kill or seriously injure in just a matter of hours. Carbon monoxide gas can be produced by faulty gas appliances, so, to ensure your home is safe, you will need to be aware of the following risks:

  • Your gas appliance has not been properly installed
  • The gas appliance is not working properly or has developed a combustion fault
  • Your gas appliance has not been regularly maintained by a Gas Safe registered engineer

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can often be mistaken for flu or food poisoning and may include all or any of the following:

  • Recurring headaches
  • Nausea, sickness or stomach pains
  • Dizziness
  • Tiredness or drowsiness
  • Chest pains
  • Visual problems

Symptoms may come and go, for example, improving when you are away from home or the faulty appliance is switched off. If you suffer from any of these symptoms, seek medical advice and ask if carbon monoxide may be the cause.

For further information and advice on the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning, please visit